1 (edited by Logo33 2012-12-02 15:21:31)

Topic: Lets talk ES-335's

So I'm thinking that my next guitar purchase will be an ES-335. I have a few options/ones that I like, but I'm not sure which one. As always, there is the Joe B. signature RI.... It's a sweet guitar but I'm pretty set on getting a red one with block inlays first. Which leaves me between a '63 Block inlay RI... or a '67 that is not all original. The '67 in question was converted from a trapeze tailpiece to a stop tailpiece, has swapped tuners, and replaced bridge. It is a players guitar through and through, but it is still about $1k more than the '63 RI and about $500 more than the JB. I don't have anyway to play any of these before purchase which is why I'm asking for advice (I have a terrible habit of buying before playing) but I've played ES-335's and 339's before and absolutely love the tone/feel. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

Re: Lets talk ES-335's

I have a 50th aniversary 335 60 reissue and a JB 335.  The JB 335 plays and feels so much better.   

He is playing a red 64 (I believe its a 64 but I could be wrong) on the current tour.  I didn't see the JB 335 even in the rack this road trip.   I think they left it home this trip.   

I want a red one that has CREAM stenciled on the case.    ...but $8500 is a little stout for a 335.

I really wish that I could do a side-by-side. The JB is a sweet 335... but there is something that calls me when it comes to a red 335 with block inlays (even if its just aesthetic)

Thanks,
Logan

Block inlay Gibson ES-335, 50th anniversary American Strat, '61 RI White SG, '62 RI Relic Strat, Replica Korina Flying V, Gold Tone Paul Beard Resonator,  '58 Les Paul RI, American Highway 1 Fender Strat, Breedlove Acoustic, Stonetree Joe Bonamassa Custom, HIWATT Lead 100R, Reeves Custom 30.

..Thought you were a "broke college student"?!

335s are awesome. 333s are also great finds, and much cheaper. Play and sound the same. Usually can find them with ABR bridge and 57 classics. I've never played a vintage anything so can't offer any opinion there. Otherwise I'd say get whatever one you like best. If you can find something good thats used and worn in a bit, all the better. If you want a red with the block inlays, get it. If you don't, you'll wish you did!

5 (edited by Logo33 2012-12-02 19:12:00)

I am lol, I'd just rather buy guitars than go out boozing or anything the other 25 yearolds do haha... My homeowners insurance is covering the stolen '65 SG JR in full, I've decided that I bad luck with SG's so I will not be replacing it (my first ever guitar was an SG and it was knocked over and broken in half). I will definitely take a look into the 333! Thanks for the advice

Logan

Hey Logan, so glad your insurance will kick in at least.  Still hoping you'll find her. 

Good luck with the selection of your new 333/335/339 girl!  Vodka is over-rated anyhow!

"To repeat a good thing is to sit still; to take a chance is to grow." - Joe Bonamassa
I need some Joe...NOW.
Joe = Joy

Yeah dude, check into a 333. You might find one, and they are usually priced well. Basically they are a stripped down 335. Dot inlays, silk screen or whatever headstock instead of it being painted with a pearl Gibson logo. Sometimes they came with the cheaper pickups and nashville bridge. Sometimes like I said, you'll see them with abr and 57 classics.

I agree you should get whatever you have your heart set on tho but if you find a 333 and like it, can always use rest of your budget on more gear. -S

Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Gibson-ES- … 3a7c4d642a

Buy-it-now is $1,599 - hopefully get it for less than that (if it meets minimum bid)

kestrou

I used to GAS for a red 335 with block inlays for years.  Then, last year I got a Yamaha SA-2200 and love it.  Killed my GAS for another semi-hollowbody.

...which is really derailing the original intent of this thread, so I will apologise and state that I was ever so briefly tempted again by the special 'Merlot red wine' limited edition 335s that I saw Wildwood advertise a few months back...

http://wildwoodguitars.com/images/produ … 21_lg3.jpg

JBLP Gold Top #129 - redubbed "#1 in Oz"

10 (edited by airportdon 2012-12-03 08:15:28)

Es 335's are very versatile blues,jazz ,rock guitars...
One of the best looking Es -335's is the Natural one with some flame on the top....I.M.O. 
Yes the flame costs a liitle more but looks so cool under the lights....:)
Good luck in your search....they are out there !!!

And so castles made of sand melts into the sea, eventually.........

I had a 68' that was refinished and had a broken head stock that I got for $2000 at the time.  Later we learned the pickups were not factory and the bridge hardware was all wrong.  But it had block inlays and maybe the world smallest neck at the nut.  Not sure what the hell Gibson was thinking.  Stole the pickups out of it because they sounded so good and everyone that worked on the guitar offered me my choice in pickups every time I'd take it in for work.  Never took them up on it, but put the pickups in my SG once sounded good, and then the Les Paul Classic.  Sounded good but nothing compared to the ES.  When I installed the Classic's 500T 496R pickups in the ES when I sold it I was shocked to find out that the guitar itself was the reason the tone was so fat and so good.  Because imho those pickups I put in that guitar were horrible, but they sounded just as good as those pickups I had stolen out of that same guitar.  Your going to love a ES335!

1599 too much for a 333 I think. Usually go for a little less. I've seen them at guitar center for around 1200. Also, the red tends to look a little more orangeish, but might not on all of them. And the blondes have zero contrast between the binding and wood. Look a bit dull in person. They also came in brown that looks very nice especially with blak hardware. It's not blotchy like the walnut finishes on some of the 335s. Again, this is just what I've seen. I'm sure the colors aren't 100 percent consistent so prob some nice pieces out there in red.

13 (edited by Logo33 2012-12-03 18:00:47)

I found a '63 RI 335 that pretty affordable, but I think it's an older model and the red is atrocious... way too bright. I can dream of a historic makeover.... haha

The best guitar I ever played was a '59/'60 335.  It was a friends cousins guitar and he had spray painted it dayglo colors over the body, the pups and some of the fretboard.  It was missing the dot on the 15th fret.  I had never played a guitar with humbuckers that I liked (this was back in '74/'75) was a P90 man, but I loved this guitar.  Later I realized it sounded so good because I played it throught my rig,  all the other 'buckers were through someone else's amp.  I REALLY wanted that guitar.

15 (edited by Logo33 2012-12-03 20:25:18)

Do you guys have any feedback issues with 335's (or similar)? I will be playing on the heavier side (about BCC heavy) so would a Les Paul be a smarter move for me? My brother just took his with him to school, so I don't have an LP in the house any longer. I'm quite possibly the most indecisive person ever.... I really just need to make a list and work my way down it in order... It'd make things a lot easier haha.

Logan

Here's 10 guys, most known to play at high volume, who didn't seem to have a problem: http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/F … s-335.aspx

kestrou

My '65 Trini Lopez is like a 335. And since I'm in some debt, I've been thinking hard about selling it sad

- Nic from Detroit... posting on JB's Forum since 6-2-2006
Ask me about my handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups
Since 2010, Bonamassa fans have taken advantage of my JB friend discount = my cost + shipping. cool

Logo33 wrote:

Do you guys have any feedback issues with 335's (or similar)? I will be playing on the heavier side (about BCC heavy) so would a Les Paul be a smarter move for me? My brother just took his with him to school, so I don't have an LP in the house any longer. I'm quite possibly the most indecisive person ever.... I really just need to make a list and work my way down it in order... It'd make things a lot easier haha.

Logan

Yes, they will feedback. At times it feels like the guitar is alive or something. You'll make do.